It might not feel like it right now, but spring and summer will be here before we know it. Soon enough, we’ll need to have the AC running around the clock to keep our homes cool. But before you start blasting the AC, it’s important that you take some time to prepare your HVAC system for the spring season.
This post from your HVAC contractor in Ruston, LA will cover all of the necessary steps to take to ensure your system is ready for the warmer months:
- Remove condenser covers or lids: Covering the outdoor condenser with a tarp or specially designed lid is a good way to keep the unit safe throughout the colder months. But before you start running the unit again, you’ll need to remove all of the coverings and keep the area clear of debris.
- Repair or replace damaged pipe insulation: The suction line is responsible for supplying the outdoor compressor with refrigerant. It’s insulated to prevent energy loss and reduce the chance of damage. If the insulation on this copper pipe is damaged or missing, replace it before running your unit this spring.
- Remove debris from the outdoor coil: The outdoor condenser coils are designed to transfer heat, and any debris hinders their ability to do so. Take some time to remove twigs, leaves, mulch, trash or any other debris from the coil to ensure the system works to the best of its ability.
- Change the air filters: Be sure to swap out the air filters on your indoor air handler unit. You’ll also want to change these filters out each month to improve system performance and reduce the risk of breakdowns and subsequent AC repairs in Ruston, LA.
- Check the condensate drainage hose: The condensate line is responsible for keeping moisture away from the outdoor unit. Be sure that the hose isn’t clogged or cracked and that it’s draining into a proper location. Otherwise, your unit could malfunction in the middle of the summer.
Hire a professional to perform a seasonal tune-up
We trust that you can perform the steps outlined above without any problems. However, we advise all homeowners to let a professional tackle these annual HVAC maintenance steps instead. Here are a few reasons why it pays to hire a pro:
- Address any issues: You might not notice if any components seem “off” inside your AC unit, but a trained HVAC contractor in Ruston, LA will! Your technician will fix any components right away to ensure your system works throughout the year.
- Extend lifespan: Having a professional maintain your AC each spring is the best way to prolong its lifespan. By addressing problems before they happen and keeping the system clean, your technician can keep your system running for years longer than if you tried to do everything on your own.
Schedule your inspection today
Even though you might not need to run your AC for a few more months, it’s never too early to get your seasonal HVAC tune-up performed by our pros at J & B Air Conditioning, Heating, & Gutters. Give us a call today to set up an appointment or to learn more about how an annual inspection can prevent the need for AC repairs in Ruston, LA.