Now is not a good time for heat pump failure in Ruston, LA! Rather than risk an uncomfortable home or a high emergency repair bill, learn to recognize the symptoms of imminent breakdown. HVAC contractors become busy in winter due to the increased need for heating installation and repairs, so now is an excellent time to address the early signs of trouble with your heat pump. Here are six signs you need to call us for heat pump repairs:
- Icing: Heat pumps ice up in summer and winter for many reasons. Usually, the pump shifts to defrost mode, and that removes ice. However, if you notice a thick coat of ice, that indicates the defroster broke down. This scenario often arises when sensors, relays or controls stop working or the valve fails to switch from AC to heat. Icing is also a potential result of dropping refrigerant levels, and you need a technician to safely recharge your refrigerant. If you notice icing, turn off your pump and call for repairs immediately.
- Excessive noise: Gentle mechanical sounds are normal for heat pumps, but if you notice grinding, squeaking and rattling, there is something else going on. If you hear any new noises, arrange for a heat pump evaluation. You likely need to replace belts or blower blades. At the very least, the technician needs to tighten loose parts, so you do not experience a complete heat pump breakdown later.
- High utility bills: You likely have a good idea of what is typical for your utility bills. However, malfunctioning heat pumps increase those expenses and give you a nasty surprise in your monthly heating statement. Broken heat pumps are inefficient and have to work harder to heat or cool your home, demanding more natural gas or electricity to run. Repairs include inspection, cleaning and replacing damaged parts so your heating and cooling bills are reasonable again.
- Uneven heating: If all your vents are open and one room is much cooler than the others, that suggests heat pump issues. Dirty furnace filters and heat pump efficiencies often prevent even cooling and heating. Tolerating this discomfort drags out the problem, and eventually, the effects show up in your utility bills. When you notice this issue, repair technicians check both the heat pump and furnace to ensure they function efficiently together.
- Leaks: Never ignore leaks. It’s normal for heat pumps to release condensation, but it shouldn’t be enough that you see it. Refrigerant leaks are a serious matter because the substance is toxic and can poison pets and children. You also risk electrical shorts if you do not control heat pump leaks as soon as possible.
- Frequent repairs: If you’re on a first-name basis with your HVAC technician, it may be time to replace your heat pump. Multiple repairs add up and eventually match the price of a new heat pump. At that point, stop scheduling repairs and ask us about new heating installation instead.
J & B Air Conditioning, Heating, & Gutters offers Ruston, LA the best in heating installation and HVAC contractor services. If you’re concerned about your heat pump, now is the time to schedule repairs or maintenance. Call us today to set up your appointment.